Log Home Furniture: Rustic Decor and Sushi

There may not be two words as distantly removed from each other as 'rustic' and 'sushi', yet my personal reaction had been exactly the same to my initial encounters with each. My admiration as well as comprehension of 'rustic decor' and 'sushi' slowly progressed from aversion to surprise. Allow me to clarify...

Several years ago I had been hired by the American division of a big Japanese organization. Being a senior member of management, I had been required to take several visits to Japan, and entertain Japanese guests whenever they went to our facility. Regardless of the nation by which we found ourselves, sushi was the most well-liked carte du jour. Cost never was an object, however whatever the price of the food, my first experiences with the taste and feel simply served to make me consume a lot more Sapporo. I only didn't have a love-at-first-bite enjoyment for uncooked fish.
At some time after those very first unimpressive gastronomic introductions, something changed plus I can't tell you the reason why or exactly what was the cause, but I started to discover sushi good tasting. Eventually I found it amazing. To the present day, sushi is a favorite dish of mine and I'll frequently get out of my way to find a great sushi eating place. Without doubt you must be wondering what the fine-tuning of my taste buds related to rustic décor.

My first encounters with rustic furniture were comparable to my personal sushi encounters. The initial few instances I had been exposed to rustic furniture (stick chairs, twig tables, et al) I was not overwhelmed. My degree in furniture design was anything you may well call "classical", in that I had a significant admiration for the elegant lines of a Queen Anne chair with carved scallop shells on the knees of its cabriole legs. Thomas Chippendale's "Gentleman and Cabinet Maker's Director" was obviously a mainstay in my shop and I referred to it often for inspiration when building a fine piece of mahogany home furniture.

Rustic furniture however wasn't polished or perhaps sophisticated and didn't fill me up with admiration for the craftsman's expertise. Comparable to my personal encounters with sushi, as time passes I began to acquire a taste for rustic furniture's features, its interesting background and what the parts began to tell me. The entire process of bending and twisting gentle willow branches into an ornamental and attractive chair that could hold an adult's mass and was cool, cozy and resembled a woodlander's throne is an awe-inspiring demonstration of absolute genius. Initially my insufficient understanding changed into significant admiration and passion.

In the same vein, making use of rough-hewn logs so that you can create bed frames, desks, seats and some other practical products might not truly demand comparable fastidiousness employed by a master cabinetmaker, yet the adaptation and utilization of nature is what can make discover its beauty. It isn't the quantity of detail or even the intricacy of style that can make a rustic furniture exceptional. It's what the item says about by itself, its purpose and how it relates using the surroundings that produces its delightful aura.

A tree's intrinsic majesty is one of the factors why log homes and log home furniture are admired by many. A conventional home furniture maker might select saw planks in the trunk and carve elaborate styles, however a rustic craftsman will fashion an item that looks like it has grown up from the floor by itself. With rustic and log home furniture, form and purpose are complimented by nature's distinctive characteristics. Individuals wish to surround themselves with this kind of organic grandeur and rustic décor speaks to that wish inside a way that old Thomas Chippendale most likely could not comprehend.

Twenty years ago, I considered raw fish as bait, and gnarled branches from the forest floor more than kindling. Over the years I have learned that if something is different than I think it should be, I might need to take another bite or one more look before I decide to spit it out or savor the taste.

Visit Log Furniture Directory and the Log Cabin Directory for "human edited" directories of log homes and rustic furniture and related information for the United States and Canada.